Microsoft Corp. announced new capabilities that further simplify the customer journey and deliver highly secured IoT solutions.
These solutions help customers embrace IoT as a core strategy to drive better business outcomes, improve safety and address social issues by predicting and preventing equipment failures, optimizing smart buildings for space utilization and energy management, improving patient outcomes and worker safety, tracking assets across a supply chain, and more.
“At Microsoft, we are committed to building a trusted, easy-to-use platform that allows our customers and partners to build seamless, smart, secure solutions regardless of where they are in the IoT journey,” said Sam George, CVP of Azure IoT at Microsoft. “That’s why we are investing $5B in IoT and intelligent edge — technology that is accelerating ubiquitous computing and bringing unparalleled opportunity across industries.”
IoT Central is a fully managed IoT app platform that provides solution builders with built-in security, scale and extensibility needed to develop enterprise-grade IoT solutions.
New features to IoT Central simplify challenges of building and deploying scalable and affordable enterprise applications:
- 11 new industry-focused application templates to accelerate solution builders across retail, healthcare, government and energy.
- API support for extending IoT Central or integrating it with other solutions, including API support for device modelling, provisioning, lifecycle management, operations and data querying.
- IoT Edge support, including management for edge devices and IoT Edge module deployments, which enable customers to deploy cloud workloads, including AI, directly to connected devices.
- IoT Plug and Play support, for rapid device development and connectivity.
- The ability to Save & Load applications to enable application reusability.
- More Data Export options for continually exporting data to other Azure PaaS services, such as storage for rich analytics.
- Multitenancy support for building and managing a single application with multiple tenants, each with their own isolated data, devices, users and roles. And updates to that single application are visible to all tenants for easy manageability.
- Custom user roles for fine-grained access control to data, actions and configurations in the system.
- New pricing model for early 2020, designed to help customers and partners have predictable pricing as usage scales.
Azure IoT Hub helps enterprise developers reduce costs and optimize operations through IoT cloud applications. New capabilities with IoT Hub message enrichment add the ability to stamp messages coming from devices with rich information before they are sent to downstream cloud services, making integration easy. IoT Hub integrates with Azure Event Grid, making it easy to consume IoT Hub device messages from an even broader variety of downstream services.
Azure Maps customers can add geospatial weather intelligence into their applications to enable scenarios like weather-based routing, weather-based targeted marketing and weather-based operations optimization, in partnership with AccuWeather. Azure Maps will now be available on Gov Cloud, simplifying the onboarding process for customers.
Azure Time Series Insights is announcing new preview capabilities including:
- Multilayered storage provides the best of both worlds: lightning fast access to frequently used data (“warm data”) and fast access to infrequently used historical data (“cold data”).
- Flexible cold storage: Historical data is stored in a customer’s own Azure Storage account, giving customers complete control of their IoT data. Data is stored in open source Apache Parquet format, enabling predictive analytics, machine learning and other custom computations using familiar technologies including Spark, Databricks and Jupyter.
- Rich analytics: Rich query APIs and user experience support interpolation, new scalar and aggregate functions, categorical variables, scatter plots, and time shifting between time series signals for in-depth analysis.
- Enterprise-grade scale: Scale and performance improvements at all layers, including ingestion, storage, query and metadata/model.
- Extensibility and integration: New Time Series Insights Power BI connector allows customers to take queries from Time Series Insights into Power BI to get a unified view in a single pane of glass.
Microsoft also added new features to Azure Security Center for IoT with the announcement of a Security Partner program and support for national clouds, and the upcoming general availability of Azure Sphere in February 2020.
Enabling a future of intelligent and secure computing at the edge for organizations, enterprises and consumers will require advances in computer architecture all the way down to the chip level, with security built in from the beginning. Microsoft Azure Sphere is taking a holistic approach to securing the intelligent edge and IoT from the silicon to the cloud in a way that gives customers flexibility and control. For example, Qualcomm recently announced a partnership with Microsoft to develop mobile hardware for Microsoft’s Azure Sphere IoT operating system.
More than half (61%) of respondents reported that their teams are practicing observability, an 8% increase from 2020, signaling that overall adoption is on the rise, according to a 2021 survey from Honeycomb. However, the majority of respondents indicated their teams are at the earliest stages of observability maturity ...
Respondents to an OpsRamp survey are moving forward with digital transformation, but many are re-evaluating the number and type of tools they're using. There are three main takeaways from the survey ...
More and more mainframe decision makers are becoming aware that the traditional way of handling mainframe operations will soon fall by the wayside. The ever-growing demand for newer, faster digital services has placed increased pressure on data centers to keep up as new applications come online, the volume of data handled continually increases, and workloads become increasingly unpredictable. In a recent Forrester Consulting AIOps survey, commissioned by BMC, the majority of respondents cited that they spend too much time reacting to incidents and not enough time finding ways to prevent them ...
In the age of digital transformation, enterprises are migrating to open source software (OSS) in droves to streamline operations and improve customer and employee experiences. However, to unlock the deluge of OSS benefits, it's not enough for organizations to simply implement the software. They must take the necessary steps to build an intentional OSS strategy rooted in ongoing third-party support and training ...
In Part 1 of this series, we explored the top pain points associated with managing Internet-based WANs today. This second installment will focus on today's most prevalent SD-WAN deployment challenges specifically and what you can do to better manage modern WANs overall ...
Enterprise wide-area networks (WANs) have undergone an incredible transformation over the past several years. More often than not, they're hybrid, offering multiple connection paths between WANs. This provides many benefits but also makes them more challenging to manage than ever before. In Part 1 of this series, we'll explore the top pain points associated with Internet-based WANs ...
As we have seen during this digital transformation boom during the pandemic, technologists are managing more applications and data than ever before, which has led three quarters of technologists to be concerned with increased IT complexity. Even more significant, 89% admitted to feeling under immense pressure to keep up with the churn, according to the recent AppDynamics Agents of Transformation report. It's clear that the pandemic has pushed many technologists to their breaking point. To help tackle IT burnout, tech professionals need a "canary" to help them streamline and catch the anomalies before they cause any major performance issues ...
An hour-long outage this Tuesday ground the Internet to a halt after popular Content Delivery Network (CDN) provider, Fastly, experienced a glitch that downed Reddit, Spotify, HBO Max, Shopify, Stripe and the BBC, to name just a few of properties affected ...