Splunk Enterprise 7.2 is now generally available.
Through a series of innovations in machine learning, performance and scale, new versions of Splunk Enterprise and Splunk Cloud make it easier to ask questions, take precise actions and drive meaningful business outcomes with access to data no matter where it lives.
“We are in the midst of the data revolution, and these product updates ensure the Splunk platform evolves as our world does to deliver business outcomes no matter the organization, team or dataset,” said Doug Merritt, President and CEO, Splunk. “There are two kinds of companies today: those who only record events with data, and those who make things happen with data. These advancements in machine learning, performance and investigation to the Splunk Platform help our customers take fast action, and our product roadmap will shift mindsets about what is possible to achieve.”
Splunk Cloud and Splunk Enterprise can scale to manage trillions of events in near real-time while maintaining performance and controlling costs. New capabilities include:
- Splunk SmartStore: Helps maximize data management flexibility while maintaining search performance and allowing compute and storage tiers to be independently scaled based on business demands. SmartStore automatically evaluates users’ data access patterns to determine which data needs to be accessible for real-time analytics and which data should reside in lower cost, long-term storage.
- Workload Management: Enables users to prioritize the allocation of compute and memory resources used by the Splunk Platform on searches and alerts to ensure users’ most critical analytics are completed first.
- Splunk on Docker: Splunk Support now covers Splunk Enterprise 7.2 deployments in Docker containers, enabling customers to quickly deploy and scale Splunk based on their organizations’ demands.
- Dynamic Data: Active Archive, the latest release in the Dynamic Data service series, helps Splunk Cloud customers to meet regulatory and compliance requirements by retaining less frequently accessed data and searching on this data with Splunk Cloud.
Given Splunk’s expansive ecosystem of technology partnerships and integrations, Splunk Cloud and Splunk Enterprise amplify the various investments customers make across technologies and data sources. Now, customers can move any data to and from the Splunk Platform regardless of its format, state or location. New capabilities include:
- Guided Data Onboarding, a new graphical user interface helping customers move data into Splunk Cloud or Splunk Enterprise and guiding them through the best onboarding methodology based on their specific architecture.
- Logs to Metrics helps configure and convert log events to metrics, enabling users to take advantage of breakthrough performance when monitoring and alerting on metrics with the Splunk Platform.
- Splunk Community for Machine Learning Toolkit (MLTK) Algorithms on GitHub amplifies MLTK customers’ creations and algorithms by allowing them to share, shape and build on GitHub community contributions.
- Splunk MLTK Container for TensorFlow extends the value of Splunk MLTK with additional contributions and functionality provided by TensorFlow, the popular open source library for high-performance numerical computation.
- Splunk MLTK Connector for Apache Spark taps into a vast and scalable machine learning library, MLib.
Splunk Cloud and Splunk Enterprise empower a broader set of roles within an organization to investigate their data, making actionable insights and impactful outcomes more widely available to all areas of the business. New capabilities include:
- Metrics Workspace enables users to monitor and analyze metrics data in an efficient, intuitive user interface.
- Health Report allows Splunk administrators to quickly understand the overall health status of their Splunk environments.
- Dark Mode heightens visual contrast within Splunk dashboards; perfect for SOC and NOC environments.
Splunk Next was also introduced, a continually evolving series of visionary technologies that brings the power of Splunk to more data sources and more people no matter where, when or how they access that data to deliver limitless insights. These innovations, which are made available through ongoing Beta programs, will enable customers to:
- Evaluate, transform and perform analytics on data in motion through Splunk Data Stream Processor.
- Achieve search at massive-scale, analyzing trillions of events at millisecond speeds with federated search across multiple Splunk deployments through Splunk Data Fabric Search.
- Interact with Splunk products from a mobile experience via Splunk Mobile and Splunk Cloud Gateway.
- Use augmented reality (AR) to interact with and take action from data through features such as QR codes, scanning for dashboards, UPC scanning and near-field communications New Data sources.
- See all business process flows, including the entire customer journey, to enable business users to easily see trends and make smarter decisions with Splunk Business Flow.
- Ask questions of Splunk using voice and text and receive immediate responses with natural language.
- Build next-generation data-rich apps and access a full suite of sample code, cloud-native services and more with Splunk Developer Cloud.
“Splunk is building on our strong heritage to evolve the platform for the future,” said Tully. “Our product vision is aimed at opening the aperture to bring Splunk everywhere, for everyone, and to help our customers pattern match everything with artificial intelligence and machine learning infused across the entire product portfolio. And we’re doing this with streaming data, data at rest, data from any source and on whatever kind of device you want to use to take action.”
As more organizations embrace digital business, infrastructure and operations (I&O) leaders will need to evolve their strategies and skills to provide an agile infrastructure for their business. In fact, Gartner, Inc. said that 75 percent of I&O leaders are not prepared with the skills, behaviors or cultural presence needed over the next two to three years ...
Today there is an urgent need for Agents of Transformation, a new breed of technologist, primed to drive innovation and enable companies to thrive in the face of rapid technological advancement, according to The Agents of Transformation Report from AppDynamics, a Cisco company ...
One in four Global Fortune 2000 enterprises rank Internet of Things (IoT) deployment as the most important initiative in their organization, yet 90% experience barriers to effective implementation and expansion due to lack of IoT expertise and skills in-house, according to a new independent survey from VansonBourne ...
Nearly three-quarters (74%) of IT leaders are concerned that Internet of Things (IoT) performance problems could directly impact business operations and significantly damage revenues, according to a new report, entitled Overcoming the Complexity of Web-Scale IoT Applications: The Top 5 Challenges ...
Gartner highlighted the top strategic Internet of Things (IoT) technology trends that will drive digital business innovation from 2018 through 2023 ...
While 95 percent of organizations have a disaster recovery plan in place, 23 percent never test their plan, according to a new survey from Spiceworks ...
Cloud computing has clear and definite benefits. At the same time there is an excessive amount of vendor hype that it will fix a lot of problems which it will not. It can also create new problems with a lack of visibility and many IT professionals are disappointed with their leap to a pure cloud environment ...
In the world of digital experience monitoring (DEM) — where the end user experience is paramount — cloud-based nodes, along with a variety of other node types, are used to build a view of the end user's digital experience. But major companies are now depending solely on cloud nodes for DEM. Research from Catchpoint, in addition to real-world customer data, shows this is a mistake ...
Achieving success with cloud adoption remains an elusive challenge for many organizations. But why is that the case? After all, there are countless tools designed to facilitate the process of taking on-premises operations to the cloud ...
The results from the latest State of Testing Survey by SmartBear show that 80 percent of respondents are testing some kind of API or web service ...